Sunday, December 16, 2007

No Country for Old Men

My one little voice joining the chorus of critics all over the country lauding the new Coen Brothers movie "No Country for Old Men" probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans. But for what it's worth, this is a one of the best movies I've ever seen. I saw it yesterday, and I'm still stunned. And now I'm re-reading the book by Cormac McCarthy.

I've been a huge McCarthy fan since before his Pulitzer Prize for "The Road" and way back even before "All the Pretty Horses" catapulted him to national fame. McCarthy is, quite simply one of our best living writers, and "No Country" is a great film adaptation that respects the source material.

If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend it, and if you haven't read any of McCarthy's books, I highly recommend that too. But be forewarned: this is a violent movie. There's lots of bloodshed, but probably no more so than your average thriller these days

No comments: