CITY SEEKING OLYMPIA’S FIRST POET LAUREATE
Applications Available for Olympia’s First Poet Laureate
The City of Olympia is seeking a Poet Laureate to engage our community in the literary arts. The intent of Olympia’s Poet Laureate designation is to:
· Promote poetry as an art form
· Expand access to the literary arts
· Connect the community to poetry
· Promote poetry as a community voice that contributes to a sense of place
Applications due Friday, September 30, 2016, 5pm.
· 2 year appointment
· $1000 stipend per year
· In coordination with City Arts Program staff, the appointed Poet Laureate will have the flexibility to shape a scope of work that reflects their interests, skills and abilities.
· Applicant must be a practicing poet, dedicated to producing poetry (in and form, genre or style) on a regular basis.
· Applicant must be an Olympia resident (within city limits or in the Urban Growth Area) over 18 years of age. A residency verification process will be conducted prior to approval.
Applications available online at www.olympiawa.gov/poetlaureate A pre-submission workshop will take place Wednesday, September 7, 2016, 7pm, Room 101/102 of The Olympia Center, 222 Columbia St NW, and will address questions about the application and submission process.
Questions? Please contact Stephanie Johnson, Arts Program Manager, at 360.709.2678 or firstname.lastname@example.org