Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Discovering Sandy Walker

In a waiting room thumbing through an old issue of Harpers magazine yesterday I saw some drawings by an artist named Sandy Walker. They were lively figure drawings in black ink done with a broad brush with very little detail and lots of energy. They looked like (1) Franz Kline paintings and (2) gesture drawings we did in art school.

I was sufficiently impressed to wanted to see more, so the next chance I got I Googled Sandy Walker and saw more paintings and drawings on his website. He does figures and landscapes, some rather traditional and bland, some some very exciting, with lots of energy and movement, interesting spacial relationships or positive-negative reversals.

If you like abstract expressionist drawing of the gestural type, you'll enjoy perusing his site or, if you're anywhere near where he's showing, check out his work. I think you'll enjoy it.

No comments: