Saturday, May 1, 2010

The title delimma

I'm looking for help, suggestions, brilliant ideas. Since about September of last year I've been working on a new novel, and I can't decide on a title. Here are some I've tried:

The Neighborhood
Wolf, He Cried
Miss Martin and the Polyamorous Libertine
Slugger Martin and the Polyamorous Libertine
Killing the Queens
The Greatest Drag Queen in the World
The World's Greatest Drag Queen
Look What They Grew Up to Be

Here's what the book is about:
Fifty years ago Alex Martin was a tomboy. The other kids called her Slugger. Now she's a handsome, intelligent woman.
Jim Bright was voted Most Handsome and Most Likely to Succeed in high school. After college he became a locally famous drag queen. He's also notorious for spinning tall tales, thus the title "Wolf, He Cried."
Fifty years after high school they meet in Barney's Pub and renew their friendship. Barney's is where a famous riot took place in 1970 and where Jim used to perform in drag. Now somebody is killing off all the old queens who were there the night of the riot.

3 comments:

Alec Clayton said...

I got comments on Facebook and via my personal email. A friend named Clem suggested:

Slugger

Slugger and the Queen

Slugger and the Libertine

Slugger Justice

The Queen Killer

Drag Queen Down

The Last Good Queen

The Four Queens

Queen of a Kind

Another voted for Slugger Martin and the Polyamorous Libertine

Bev Sykes said...

For my money, you can't go wrong with any title that has "polyamorous libertine" in it!

Alec Clayton said...

Bev, I like that phrase too, but a couple of people whose opinions I value have said they don't. If I do decide to go with that one I'll probably combine is with Slugger Martin instead of Miss Martin.