Sunday, August 12, 2012

A few more never- or seldom-seen paintings

Here are a few more never- or seldom-seen paintings.

There's a story behind these. It was January 1990, the beginning of the last decade of the 20th century. I had been thinking for a long time that I wanted to start doing abstract paintings but didn't have much of an idea what I wanted them to look like. One day I stapled a large canvas to the wall and slathered on some paint with nothing in particular in mind, and then I picked up a paint scraper and started pushing the painting around on the canvas, and interesting and unexpected things started to happen. I let the paint dry and then started drawing on top of it with oil sticks. Out of this grew a series of paintings I called "Decade."

Decade No. 12. oil snd oil stick on canvas, 44" x 48"


Decade No. 25. oil snd oil stick on canvas, 44" x 48"
Even though I had started to "go abstract," a few parts of figures still crept into the new paintings  - quite evident in Decade No. 25. These two and the next two were shown in exhibitions at University of Texas El Paso and in a now defunct gallery in Portland in 1991. The only one ever shown in the Olympia area was Decade No. 25, which was shown at Childhood's End Gallery in '91 or '92.


unnumbered from the Decade series. oil snd oil stick on canvas, 44" x 48"
Decade No. 26. oil snd oil stick on canvas, 44" x 48"
unnumbered from the Decade series. oil snd oil stick on canvas, 44" x 48"




No comments: